Monday 9 February 2015

A Love of Sundials

I love sundials. I always have. There's something about that theme of time that stirs the soul in both pleasant and mournful ways. Add a garden to the equation, the passing of the seasons, and the impact is even greater.

I have a cheap (though it doesn't look too tacky) sundial in the small area of garden I call The Sundial Garden -

 

I also made the following sundial from a sundial plaque and a birdbath but it has since been dismantled and turned back into a birdbath again, and the sundial plaque put on my patio table -


Although looking at it in that photo, I might, perhaps, put it back together as a sundial.

But the point of this entry is that I bought myself an Armillary -

 
 
It was only £19.99 (free delivery).
 
I'm just dithering about what to do with it now. Where to put it. I think that I'll do some re-arranging once the new trellis has been erected. And pinch one of my statue plinths to put it on.
 
Eventually, I'd like to treat myself to a good quality stone sundial. But for now, a restricted budget means I have to make do with cheap(er) versions.
 
But one can dream...
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I love how wild the flowers look in that top photo. I always liked the idea of having wildflowers covering a garden, but the idea of cats stalking through after birds put me off!
    Does Loki go outside now?

    I noticed the patch of snowdrops outside our kitchen window have come up, they're so pretty. I love snowdrops xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They get very wild! I'm lazy when it comes to weeding!
      No, we still haven't let Loki out. By the time her bad spaying scar healed enough, it was winter and the weather was miserable. Then we had new fencing put up and the guys had churned out garden into mud (not their fault though). So we've decided to wait until she turns 1, which is the beginning of March. Let her out at the beginning of spring. We've already bought a cat flap, we just need to fit it.

      Yes, we've got a couple of snowdrops and crocus coming up now. It so warms the heart!

      Delete